Newcastle Apartments Accessibility Statement
The apartments are based in the centre of Newcastle, situated on a pedestrianized area which joins with Waterloo Street and Thornton Street. We have 31 apartments in total: 1 x one bed apartment and 30 x 2 bedroom apartments. We aim to provide the highest standard of service with the apartments. All apartments have a guest information folder in them with useful information for your stay. Any queries or assistance that you may require please contact us at reception.
This site is designed to be as accessible as possible, please visit the website accessibility page for details
- For assistance and information prior to arrival please call the General Manager or Operations executive on 0191 279 7900, or alternatively you can email us
- We are located in the centre of Newcastle on a pedestrianized area, which is joined by Waterloo Street.
- We are approximately a 4 minute walk from the main Central Station of Newcastle, at the Station you are able to use accessible taxis as these are readily available through Noda Taxis which can be pre-booked also for your arrival on 0191 222 1888
- There is no bus service that would bring you to the apartments from the Central Train Station
- The main shopping area of the city is a 5 minute walk
- Our website is designed to give an overview of the apartments and facilities, anything that is not listed then please contact the apartments directly
- Our reception opening hours are Monday - Friday 8.00am - 8.00pm , Saturday 10.00am - 6.00pm - Sunday & Bank holidays 11.00am - 6.00pm
- You may contact us during these hours by telephone, email, fax or in person (at reception a hearing loop device is installed)
- A contact list is available at reception with details of local equipment hirers please request a copy of this if needed.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- All guests should use the main and only entrance which has access via ramp to the left of the front door or 6 steps to the right of the door. The ramp is accessed from the pedestrian area of Thornton Street and has a slight raised area to access this.
- The main door is controlled by an intercom system and to contact reception you need to press 99 and the bell button. The height from the floor to the intercom system is 49 inches (1.24m) and is easily reachable.
- The main door is a single glass door, there is a clearance of 32 inches (0.81m) on the door.
- You can be dropped off by a vehicle at the front door, but there is no direct parking at the front of the apartments as it is a pedestrianized area. Using this area is at your own risk as traffic wardens could issue parking fines on this area.
- The car park is located under the apartments and is fitted with electronic gates which can be controlled during reception hours by the apartment staff. Once guests have checked in and registered they are issued with a transmitter which they point at the gates and press a button to open them automatically. The gates will close automatically once your car has gone through.
- Guests many park in any of the free bays in the car park, all of which are the same width of 92 inches (2.34m).
- Access from the basement car park to the apartments also uses an intercom system. There is a slight lip at the entrance from the car park of approx 0.5 inches (1.3cm).
- If assistance is required with luggage our staff are happy to help, providing arrival is during the reception opening hours. The lift is accessible from the basement to all floors within the apartments; reception is located on the ground floor or level "0" from the lift.
- Reception is located on the ground floor if arriving though the main entrance doors and is on the left hand side with the reception desk directly in front of you. If you are arriving from the car park, exit the lift and head towards the main doors, reception is on your right.
Main Entrance & Reception
- The lift is accessible from the basement to all floors within the apartments with reception been based on the ground floor or level "0" from the lift.
- Reception is located on the ground floor if arriving though the main entrance doors and is on the left hand side with the reception desk directly in front of you.
- If you are arriving from the car park, exit the lift and head towards the main doors, reception is on your right. Reception is a small area and check in is designed to get you into your apartment as quickly as possible.
- There is a chair in reception for guests to use while checking or waiting. The reception desk is 29 inches (0.74m) high. During check-in the entry and exit procedures are explained and the opening hours of reception are advised.
- Information regarding the in-house guest emergency mobile is also explained and details of the guest information folder are explained.
- Registration cards are requested to be completed with a signature and are available in the standard format only. The lifts to all floors, including the car park, is situated on the right hand side of the corridor past reception.
- The apartments do not offer bar, restaurant or meeting facilities.
- If there any other queries then please do not hesitate to contact us. Reception can also be contacted from your apartment by dialling "0" on the phone situated in the living area.
Public Areas - General (Internal)
- There are no public telephones situated with the apartments the nearest public telephones are situated on Newgate Street. You can reach them by taking a right as you come out of the apartment main entrance, then at the top of the road turn right onto Clayton Street (all streets have pedestrian crossings), walk along Clayton Street and turn left onto Newgate Street and the telephones are situated half way down the street.
- There are refuse collection areas located at the rear car park. If assistance is required removing rubbish please ask at reception during opening hours.
Public Areas - WC
- There is no public WC available for use, only in the apartments
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Lounges, Take Away & Cafe
- There is a washing machine with combined dryer in each apartment. External laundry can also be arranged through reception which is collected and delivered back to your and is payable at reception.
- There is no shop onsite but there are shops located with walking distance of the apartments as we are located in the city centre
- These are not available at the apartments
- These are not available at the apartments but there are local facilities situated within Eldon Square
- There are no outdoor facilities.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
- There are no meeting rooms at the apartments
- Each apartment has 2 double bedrooms. The door clearance on the main door to the apartments is 30" (0.76m) the lock to the main apartment door is 36" (0.91m) from the bottom of the door.
- The width of the bedroom door frame is 30" (0.76m)
- All bedrooms are carpeted with a short pile carpet
- The beds are 6ft 2" (1.88m) long by 4ft 7" (1.4m) wide, the height is 26" (0.66m) and the clearance under the bed is 2.5"(6cm)
- All beds are supplied with poly-cotton sheets and non-feather pillows. Non-feather duvets are provided with poly-cotton covers and towels are provided in all rooms
- Free standing wardrobes the rail height is 66" (1.7m)
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [En-suite or Shared]
- Door is 31.5" (0.8m) wide and en-suite bathroom doors are 26" (0.66m) wide
- Main bathroom has a tiled floor. Standard toilets fitted in all with a height of 16" (0.41m). Sinks all standard at a height of 32" (0.81m) and all main baths are fitted at a height of 22" (0.56m) with a grip rail situated horizontally at 22" (0.56m) from the top of the bath. Bath has non slip surface on the floor and towelling bath mats are supplied in all apartments.
- Toilets fitted at standard height of 16" (0.41m)
- Sinks fitted at 32" (0.81m)
- Shower cubicle has a 10" (0.25m) step into the shower
- Tiled floor in en-suite with anti-slip surface in shower cubicle and towel bath mat provided for floors
- All kitchens are fully equipped. Bench height is standard in all at 35.5" (0.9m) and all appliances sit on benches such as microwave, kettle toaster, and hob.
- Wall units are fitted at a height of 55.5" (1.41m) - all utensils in these cupboards can be moved down to below bench level.
- Dining table has 4 standard chairs and the table is a height of 30" (0.76m)
- The main telephone is situated on a table in the main living area and is at a height of 30" (0.76m)
- The apartment intercom is wall mounted at a height of 46" (1.17m) from the floor
- The television is remote control and is on a stand of 14" (0.36m) in height the TV has Freeview and Teletext
Grounds and Gardens
- There are no grounds or gardens to the apartments
- Information folder available in all apartments
- If further assistance is required then please contact reception at the apartments
- Address: Thornton House, Thornton Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5SX
- Telephone: 0191 279 7900
- Fax: 0191 279 7950
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 8.00am - 8.00pm Saturday 10.00am - 6.00pm Sunday & bank holidays - 11.00am - 6.00pm (Christmas and New Year opening times may vary please contact us for details if staying during these dates)
- Emergency number: 07906 269 794 (for in-house residents only)
- Local carers: Guardian homecare & nursing - 0191 286 1444
- Local equipment hire companies: Newcastle mobility - 0191 261 1648
- Local public transport numbers: Nexus - 0191 203 3333
- Local accessible taxi numbers: Noda Taxis - 0191 222 1888
- NHS walk in centre - 0191 233 3760
- No further plans at present.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone or email us.